As Batman continues his investigation into a mysterious metal, his path crosses with Wonder Woman and Talia Al Ghul, both of which give him weapons of both great power and danger. Carter Hall, the Hawkman, continues to narrate his tale across time. And in the Batcave, Duke Thomas and Green Lantern continue to fight an escaped Joker, who’s insanity seems to hold dangerous and vital information.
DARK DAYS: The Casting
Written by: Scott Snyder and James Tynion IV
Art by: Jim Lee, Andy Kubert, John Romita Jr., and others
Published by: DC Comics
Now we are on our second step toward DC: Metal and things are showing no indication of slowing down. Like The Forge, Dark Days: The Casting is a rollicking story filled with action, easter eggs, and plenty of “oh shit!’ moments. Read on for 11 reasons pick up Dark Days: The Casting. Oh yeah, there are SPOILERS!!!!!
- The appearance of Ras Al Ghul and Talia Al Ghul. Always love a drop in from the In-Laws!
- Batman getting Apollo’s Sunblade, an actual weapon for a God.
- “Be wary of the Gods, they have their own agenda”-Wonder Woman. “So do I” –Batman
- The pure, non-stop narrative pace of the story.
- The art. Somehow having three artists just works, giving each segment a specific feel.
- The Challengers of The Unknown!
- The explanation of how the Joker’s face got healed.
- The use of the Joker in general.
- How there is a Lovecraftian nod and feel throughout this whole thing.
- “Oh, I know how this story is going to end. Because it’s happened before.”
Two issues into a prelude, and this whole DC: Metal event is shaping to be one hell of a fun ride. It’s great to see a comic crossover like this that embraces the fun and throws in a ton for the fans but not at the cost of the story. DC fans REALLY need to check this out.