What starts as a simple investigation turns deadly when the secrets of the button prove irresistible to an unwelcome third party—and it’s not who anyone suspects. It’s a mystery woven through time, and the ticking clock starts here!
So after a year of anticipation and rumors, DC is finally addressing the elephant in the room that is The Comedian’s button being found in the Batcave. And although we get some answers, we get even more questions. Still, this is an AWESOME issue, and here are 11 reasons why. WARNING: I can’t really drop these bullet points without some spoiling, so read at your own risk. But trust me that no matter what, this is a MUST-READ for DC fans.
- The use of the hockey game as a narrative device to build tension and foreshadow; a great writing tool by Tom King.
- Subtle art touches like the speed-force lightning jumping over and under panel borders. Fantastic work by Jason Fabok and Brad Anderson.
- The appearance of Thomas Wayne as the Flashpoint Batman!
- “How about I meet you in the Cave in one minute?”
- The two-page splash image of Reverse-Flash’s reveal/arrival. (See it below)
- The panel sequence of Thawne beating Batman to a pulp (notice the countdown!).
- Batman spitting blood defiantly at Reverse-Flash, then putting a Batarang to excellent use. (You need feet to run Mr. Thawne!)
- The Smiley Button’s reaction to Psycho-Pirate’s mask! Very telling!
- “I saw…I saw God.” (My money is on Dr. Manhattan!)
- Flash being late.
- The moment when you realize this whole issue takes place in about one-minute yet everything changes.
Believe the hype and be thankful for the wait folks, this was totally worth it and is very exciting. I haven’t had this much fun reading ‘Batman‘ in years! I for one can’t wait for next week’s second chapter in Flash #21. Bravo DC: Rebirth, what a way to live up to your word.